July first is coming fast and it’s time to celebrate. Come join me on June 29th for an early celebrations. I’ll be running two cooking classes – Oh Canada cupcakes and poutine.
In the poutine class we will make homemade fried and gravy and then construct the classic dish beloved by Canadians.
Date: June 29th
Time: Time: 4-6pm
Cost: 2500 yen
Location: Serendipity Cafe
RSVP: on Facebook
The cupcake class will be family friendly so you are welcome to bring your children. Families do not have to be related. Feel free to find a friend and form a family. Each “family” will make and decorate six cupcakes.
Date: June 29th
Cost: 3000 yen per family/pair (includes six cupcakes)
Place: Serendipity Cafe, Chigasaki
RSVP: via Facebook
I had a great time at my cupcake event on Sunday. The kids had a great time – especially when decorating. They unleashed their creative sides, as you can see from the pictures above. Most of those were done by the children. I showed them print outs of a couple of designs like a Santa hat, a snowman and a Christmas tree, and then let them go free.
This is the most notable design, done by a girl who looked no more than eight.
The mothers requested I do more events in the future so it looks like there will be more family events on the horizon.
If you haven’t signed up yet, head here to join my email newsletter. You will get recipes I haven’t shared here on the blog and advanced notice about upcoming cooking classes.
I’d love to hear from you. What kind of classes would you like to see me put on? Please leave a comment below with your suggestion.
Back to the reason for the post. I will be hosting a Family Cupcake and Movie Afternoon at Serendipity Cafe on December 1st from one to four in the afternoon. I use the term family loosely. Any two people can be a family. So if you and a friend would like to come, you are more than welcome. Children are welcome to participate.
- November 30th, 1-4pm
- At the Serendipity Cafe, Chigasaki (map link)
- 3000 yen per family/group (children are welcome to participate)
What we will be doing
- baking two kinds of cupcakes, vanilla and chocolate
- making buttercream
- playing around with decorating six cupcakes per family/group with a Christmas theme (see the pic above for ideas)
- eating said cupcakes
- watching “The Grinch Who Stole Christmas” animated version (the newer Jim Carrey version does not exist as far as I’m concerned)
What you should bring
- an apron (if you use them, I never do)
- a container to take home leftover cupcakes
- a sense of adventure
- This is not a decorating class, but a relaxed family (or non-family) event. We will be doing some simple decorating but techniques will not really be taught.
- If you lead a gluten free lifestyle you are welcome to bring a gluten free flour mix along to try to make a gluten free version of the cupcakes. Please note that we will be using wheat flour at the event so if you have a gluten allergy, you probably would not want to attend.
- We will be using eggs, soy or rice milk and flour. There will be an option to use food coloring in the icing.
If you would like to get more tips, class information and recipes that I only share in the newsletter, please sign up here.